Saturday, August 18, 2012

17.08.12 - Bath, Day 3, in which I learn to use the color filters in my camera whilst visiting Prior Park

(Bath, UK)

Jordan's leaving this morning by train. We decide to try to see a few of the locations we missed the previous day, including the Fashion Museum and Assembly Rooms, the Vaults under Bath Abbey, and Victoria Park. When we get to the Fashion Museum, we find out it doesn't open until 10:30, and Jordan wants to be in Edinburgh before dark. Skip that. Next we head to the abbey and ask about the vaults. It turns out that they used to do tours of the vaults, but their upkeep was too great and expensive, so they sealed them about three years ago. Jordan's Europe on a Shoestring was a little out of date. Skip that. Heading to Victoria Park via The Royal Crescent (pictured below).

There's a Ferrari in this picture. Try to find it!

Jordan, posing for a picture.
After walking and taking pictures for about an hour, I have to bid Jordan adieu. Later that afternoon, I head back out to find Prior Park, once the site of Ralph Allen's estate in the early 18th century. Allen was a philanthropist who reformed the British postal system, made a fortune, then bought a quarry that was the source for all of the "bath stone" used for most of the buildings in Bath, then made a second fortune. I don't envy the guy. Anyway, he moved to Prior Park and had the Palladian mansion built in 1742. You can imagine that a guy who reformed the postal service and basically built an entire town all the while making his fortune might have a bit of an ego. He's no Hearst, but, then again, who is?






Hiya, Bath!


"To see all Bath, and for all Bath to see," is Allen's famous quote about his Palladian mansion.


As you can see, the park is pretty gorgeous. I meet a mother with her two daughters (she introduced them as the Carolines). The mother, born in Bath, tells me a bit about the history of the place and about Allen. She mentions that that estate is now a private college (not bad for a college!) and asks me a bit about myself. I try not to get too deep into the medieval talk because I'm honestly tired of telling people what I'm researching. But we talk for a little while and then I see them from time to time as I make my way around the park.




The views from atop Prior Park are some of the best I've seen in England. There aren't many natural high spots here, and maybe that's all to the benefit of Bath's splendor and beauty. This is one of those places that, if I had the chance, I'd live here.




This cow was having none of my babble. It turned its head and hoofed it away not long after this was shot.


About half-way through my walk I discover some of my camera's color-filters. I'm not saying they're good. But it gave me like an extra half-hour of something to do while I strolled around. Here are two that I actually like:



No comments:

Post a Comment