Friday, August 31, 2012

29.08.12 - Oxford, UK - Museums

29.08.12 - (Oxford, UK)

Today is research day. I spend most of my time at the Radcliffe Science Library, looking at MS Bodley 297, John of Worcester's Chronicon ex chronicis. After that, I meet Ramona and we head to the museums to see some pretty sweet stuff. Here are some museum photos from wandering around the Ashmolean Museum (below) and the Museum of the History of Science (way below). To be very honest, a few of the Ashmolean photos are from different days, but these are the newest, most interesting photos. I'll try to keep everything lumped together by topic.

Satan!

Laocoon.
Anglo-Saxon belt, situated among other A/S, Danish, Frankish, and German artifacts.

Gilt copper alloy and and champleve crucifix, 12th or 13th century.



Oxford Museum of the History of Science

What's HAPPENIN GUYS!?

I'm pretty sure that back in the day this geocentric universe rotated and was super sweet.

Heliocentric universe model based on Copernicus' writings. Also mechanical.

Einstein's blackboard!

The Museum of the History of Science closes and kicks Ramona and me out in the rain. We hang around waiting for twenty minutes or so, and then the sun comes out, and we see this...

IT'S A DOUBLE RAINBOW!
Back in Edinburgh, I met a few guys from Wales and an Aussie. Today, I track down Dixie's pub, called The Grapes, on George St. I get a half-pint while we talk and I find out that Dan, the Aussie, was scheduled to get on a bus at 8:30am for a three day coach tour of Loch Ness and the Highlands, but Dixie tells me that he's not sure that Dan made that bus. Hmm... Anyway, here's the pub.

Dixie's that handsome bloke int he blue shirt.
That night, we get a new guest at Jane's. He's from Japan, and his name is Yusuke. As a welcoming gesture, I buy him a pint at a pub just a few doors down. We talk a bit and then head home.


Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment