Monday, July 23, 2012

The Quest for the Holy Grail - Part One

22.8.12 (Cambridge, UK) - The Queest for the Hooly Graal (1 of 2)


Passus Primus


Greet was my queste, and sharpe warre my wits, whan fro the holie graal I sette. The shoures of July had softe mad the grounde. Yet the clouds hadde gonne offe to reste. But soon did I sette down next to a tree, and my eyes goon harde to see. I slept in a sweven so deep so marvelos that I coulde not believe. And there I saw such a strange land, with strange folk dressed in forign habits that were not the werk of hermits. And  it is of this lond and this folk that I will to you telle. 


Onn the road I se another knight, readie for quest as greet as mine. Sir Ahron of Histoy greet in mighte and stroong in wille, stands oon the corner of the strete istille. 


"Greet sir," quothe I, "Tell me, by Godes love, you are Sirrah Ahron of Histoy, are you not?"


"Tis true," quoth he, "by my faythe, I am. You know who I am but who are you?"


"I am called Sir Christopher of Chesterton," quote I, "a knight of the Ordere Templars. I am on a queest ful good! For it is the hoolie graal I seeke. That greet and noble instrument of oure Loord. Wil you join in this queest?"


"By Goddes dignitee!" quoth he. "I shal thee on this queeste accompanie!"


"Than you shall!" quot I. "Now we wil not be one knight of the Templars, but two."


We knights Templar two set out doon the rode, our swords tuck'ed into oure beelts, our armour ful sturdie, our boots ful redie for to walk. Al be it told in due time that we were to see such sundry folk, as I shall you devyse.


---


[Trans: The Quest for the Holy Grail


Passus Primus


Great was my quest and sharp, my wits, when I set off for the Holy Grail. The showers of July had made the ground soft. Still the clouds had gone off to rest. But soon I sat down next to a tree and fell asleep. I slept in a dream so deep and marvelous that I could not believe it. And there I saw such a strange land and such strange people dressed in strange clothes that were not hermits' habits. And it is of this land and these people that I will tell you of.


On the road I see another knight, ready for a great quest such as mine. Sir Ahron of Histon, great in might and strong in will, stands on the corner of the street very still.


"Great Sir," I said, "Tell me, by God's love, you are Sir Ahron of Histon, are you not?"


"This is true," he said, "By my faith, I am. You know who I am but who are you?"


"I am called Sir Christopher of Chesterton," I said. "A knight of the Templar Order. I am on a very good quest! For it is the Holy Grail I seek. That great and noble instrument of our Lord. Will you join in this quest?"


"By God's dignity," he said. "I shall accompany you on this quest!"


"Then you will!" I say. "We will now be two Knight's Templar!"


We two knights Templar set down the road, our swords tucked into our belts, our armor completely sturdy, our boots completely ready for walking. It will all be told in due time, that we met such lowly folk, as I shall tell you.] 


Passus Secundus


Ye Olde Springe was not for us, so we wende to Les Armes du Portland, a pub similar to one we remember in Normandie. We go a greet distaunce, oore boots digge deepe ond true. A havyn at laste we sye, and ynsyde we fynde oure brewe.


"Milord, I can rede the word 'pub' ond 'greene' but natheless the oder oons are beyond me comprehnsin. We moost continuu on."




We quench'd oure thurst and took in the sunne. We got out of there, methinks, at quartre to wonne. Our queest was not yet finished, our jurnie not yet doon. We walk aloong the road, which wente far as the ey could see. This Passus be ful donne, go on to Passus thre.


[Trans: Passus Secundus


Ye Old Spring was not for us, so we went to the Portland Arms, a place we knew from back in Normandy. We go a great distance, our boots dig deep and true. A haven we see at last, and inside we find our brew (beer). 


We quenched our thirst and took in the sun. we got out of there, I reckon, at quarter to one. Our quest was not yet finished, our journey not yet done. We walk along the road which went far as the eye could see. This passus (chapter) is entirely done, go on to passus three.]




Passus Tertius


The queest is long to make, the daye so long to take. We se a fair field ful of folk, and there we wente, bravelee, into the flok of folk.


Thisse carnival they hadde ymadde was wid and longe. Their tents were al ysette. The folk ful oft et and sette whan the sun was atte his peeke.


 We strod thro, oure breste ablase, oure swords ful redie to bite, but not a onec, sadde to say, didde those folk turn to strike.


Atte the oder ond of the field, we set thro for to passe, and when we strode ful thro, Sir Ahron got ful of gasse.


"I'm brook, and I have to pisse," quoth he, grabbing his codpiece in hond.


"We almost maak to Grafton Castle," quote I. "It wil nat be that long."


We madde for Grafton Castle, as fast as we coold goo, and oon the way found a bank of the Templars. Sir Ahron, ful redeley, strode up to the depositorie to taak oot a few pounds.


"We nede some golde," quoth he, "if we are to maak the roonds."


[Trans: Passus Tertius


The quest is taking a long time, the day is going long, too. We see a fair field full of folk, and there we go, bravely, into the flock of folk.


This carnival they had made was wide and broad. Their tents were all set up. The folk sat and ate when the sun was at his peak.


We strode through, our breasts ablaze, our swords all ready to bite at them, but not once, it's sad to report, did those folk attempt to strike.


We set off to the other end of the field, and when we got through it all, Sir Ahron got gassy.


"I'm broke and I have to piss," he said, grabbing his crotch in hand.


"We're almost to Grafton Castle," I said. "It will not be that long."


We made for Grafton Castle as fast as we could go, and on the way found a bank of the Templars. Sir Ahron went right up to the ATM and took out a few pounds.


"We need some money," he said, "if we are going to make the rounds."]



No comments:

Post a Comment