Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Goodbye England (Heathrow, UK)

Goodbye England

Goodbye London, goodbye coaches,
goodbye five-twenty pound lunches.
Later instant-coffee, you won't be missed,
So-long spiders as big as my fist.
Goodbye castles, goodbye towers,
goodbye clocks of 24 hours.
Goodbye Cambridge and Oxford City,
Goodbye accents that always sound witty.
Goodbye tea-time, and with it, cream tea;
goodbye Hastings' decrepit pier over the sea.
Goodbye Jane and Alistair,
goodbye dirty underwear.
Goodbye old stinky, you were great,
goodbye Tattoo and Portculis Gate.
Au voir Canterbury, and YHA,
where I will never again pay to stay.
Goodbye biscuits, goodbye ale,
goodbye scones that tasted stale.
Goodbye Reculver, goodbye Kentish coast,
goodbye to all my gracious hosts.
Sayonara Yusuke, you were a cool guy,
goodbye Huran who was never shy.
Goodbye Jack, goodbye Steve,
I was sad when you had to leave.
Goodbye Mona, now the bathroom is all yours,
goodbye annoying clanking doors.
Goodbye Battle, goodbye York,
ta ta for now research work.
Goodbye Ahron, don't bother to call,
since I'll see you in no time at all.
Goodbye to Chris and Mara Jones,
thank you for letting me stay at your home,
and for showing me around the red city,
even if it's not terribly pretty.
Goodbye bad sushi, so long lamb doner,
too much of you and I'd have been a goner.
Goodbye pubs, goodbye pub fare,
goodbye locals who try not to stare.
No more haddock, no more plaice,
no more roaming this foreign space.

Hello Seattle, hello Link,
hello water that's sweet to drink.
Hello Washington, hello Northwest,
hi comfy bed where I can finally, finally rest.
Hello friends, I missed you all,
Hello city where it's always Fall.
Hello rain, I won't get sentimental,
though here you always seem more gentle.
Hello bars, hello brewpubs,
hello giant boot-shaped jugs.
Hello films, hello TV
hi to the land of the evergreen tree.
Hello freeways, hello big cars,
hello to prolonged hiatus of the stars.
Heya Subaru, you doing okay?
Did she treat you well while I was away?
Hello Sound, hello mountains,
hello sketchy university fountain.
Hiya burgers with real meat,
Hey sushi only Japan can beat.
Hello USA, I think I missed you,
even if I really didn't want to.
Hello Tansy.
Hello Diana.

No comments:

Post a Comment